Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A question...any advice?

I'm not really stuck in a bad situation. In fact, I'm rather content with the way things are right now. Works well for me. But I need some insight on this situation, just to make sure there's nothing iffy about it. Opinions are welcome.

Situation - my guy friend has recently been "bitten by the lovebug" for a girl at his school. I'm excited and happy for him - he is a very Godly gentleman who has kept himself pure, and it looks like he's picked out a very nice girl. However, I happen to be his best friend - and of course I'm a female. I'm 110% happy being his best friend - he trusts me the most with his secrets and feels comfortable talking to me about anything - including the girl he likes. I'm #1 on his MySpace list.

My question is, is this alright? He just asked this girl out, but I know he's not going to drop his friendship with me because that's all he sees me as - and vice versa. Do I need to back off for this girl? I don't flirt or anything, but how do things work when a guy has a girlfriend and a best friend who's also a girl?

2 comments:

Joy said...

I think I would let things be status quo for the time being.

After all it's only a date. I think time will tell how it will go and you'll get a clear message as to how to proceed with your "best friends" status with him. As you both grow older you'll find it harder to be "best friends" with the opposite sex especially as you become serious with someone else. You'll know when to set boundaries and the dynamics of those relationships will definitely change. (or should change)
I had a guy friend in college and we did so many things together and spent tons of time. But when I met my husband to be for some reason I just didn't want to spend as much time with that other guy as before.
:)

Joy said...

Sorry to go on here,
But I wanted to mention one other thing. God sends people into our lives for seasons some times. So don't expect every relationship to be deep and meaningful for a long time. Those are few and far between.