Tuesday, July 1, 2008

On Trip - Day 4 - June 12th, 2007

Read and think about John 3:1-21.
Mission trips are famous for their 2-minute gospel presentations: knock on door, door opens, smile big and spit out the Good News as fast as you can, door shuts. But here we see Jesus taking time to talk and entertain some questions in the late night hours. He doesn't seem rushed. He doesn't seem bothered. He just speaks to the heart of a man that is trying to find out the truth about Him. Jesus doesn't necessarily answer the questions coming out of Nicodemus' mouth, but the ones that are hidden in his heart. He challenges his way of thinking, He shares truth, and He shares about the amazing world-wide love of God - love that can cause a man to be re-born into a whole new kind of life. Amazing what can happen when you just take a little time to chat.

What stands out to you about Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus?
Jesus is not wishy-washy. He stated the truth directly and answers every question Nicodemus has.

How can you follow Jesus' example in your ministry?
By having no "ums" or "uhs." By not being ashamed to tell anyone and everyone about Christ Jesus.

John 3:16 is a verse you've heard a million times. Spend some time meditating on verses 16 and 17, asking God to give you a fresh understanding of the amazing truth they convey.

Today was so amazing, as every day has been. First of all we went to a nearby school to do a mini-service (music, a skit, and the salvation message...a lot of schools go year-round in Jamaica). In Jamaica, you can teach God all you want in school, and in most school, He is taught, which is something America needs to do. Anyway, a lot of the kids who were at VBS yesterday were there and they all remembered me. There was this one new girl that I walked up to and spoke to. Her name was Jessica and I asked her if she wanted me to take a picture of her. She said yes, so I did. After that, it was like I was her new best friend. She grabbed my hand and showed me all around the school, telling her friends about me. She was wonderful.
After that we did "God And I" time (individual devotionals, where we get to spend time alone with just us and God) while taking a tour around a couple of other towns in Jamaica. We got to see some of the wealthier neighborhoods, with mansions and stuff, but still nothing like America's. Then we pulled into a children's home. Now, I thought when they say "handicapped children," they meant, like, crippled or deaf. I quickly learned that they were mentally handicapped. When the first guy I met, who looked to be about 19, screamed out of joy and hugged me as tight as he could, I felt weird and uncomfortable at first. But then I heard God tell me, "They're My children too." After that, it was much easier being around those kids, and I actually enjoyed myself immensely. I danced with one girl, walked around everywhere with a boy, spent time with a lady that loved feeling my face and hair, and played with a very affectionate woman who loved to hug and kiss me on the cheek (for fun, I called one of my mission tripper guy friends over, who's not too big on hugs and especially kisses...I laughed so hard when the woman grabbed his neck, pulled him close to her, and gave him a huge kiss on the cheek). I just felt so happy around these people. Whenever I smiled at them, they smiled back. I gave more hugs today than I have in the past few months. It just really showed how beautiful these handicapped people are. I want to go to another children's home when I get back to America.
Then I did hard construction work, we got super hot and sweaty and - haha - the Lord send rain. Again. So we didn't get a huge crowd of kids for VBS (in fact, there were only about 15), but then again, we can really control 15 kids. There was one girl named Renise who gave me a piece of paper. On the front was a colorful alphabet she'd drawn, and on the back it said in huge letters, "I LOVE YOU! You are nice and kind and good." It felt so good, just to know I've made a difference in someone's life.
Tonight I got up some serious guts and spoke my mind. The Georgia group hasn't been very nice or hard-working, so our team's been complaining and talking about them in private, and it really bothered me. So tonight I told the team that I didn't like how we were talking behind their backs, and just cuz they were mean didn't mean we had to be. I mean, what difference does it make if you're saying bad things to a person's face or behind their back? Us talking about them in private makes us just as bad as them. Not justifying what the Georgia team was doing, just saying we shouldn't do the same thing. Man, it nailed everyone. Everyone was so silent, then they were all thanking me afterward.
So I have to go to bed now!

TRIP UPDATE
What was the weather like today? Hot and humid at first, then very cool and rainy.
Who is someone that encouraged you today? How? Renise, by giving me that note she made.
What was the best part about today? The children's home.
Which was the hardest? The construction work.
Did anyone say something "quote-worthy?" Leann also encouraged me today. After I spoke up about the Georgia team, she told me, "When I first saw you, I thought you were a quiet shy girl...now I know you are very courageous."

No comments: