Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pretrip - Day 2 - June 5th, 2007

Read and think about Luke 5:1-11.
Their boat was docked and their nets already clean after a wasted night at sea. But when Jesus asked them for a ride, they decided to go ahead. They'd heard the rumors. Maybe they hoped He'd bring some of His miracles their way. When He told them to cast their nets again they probably gave Jesus a double take and each other a shrug, but they obeyed. Their muscles were tired after a frustrating night, but they lifted the heavy nets and threw them over the side. They stared at the water, more out of exhaustion than expectation. But soon there was flipping and fluttering -- in the nets and in their guts. What they did on their own left them empty-handed, but with Jesus' direction and presence, their nets were full to breaking -- they got more than they ever could have imagined.

What does this story show you about Jesus' power verses man's?
Man definitely cannot compare with God! Man can fail. God can't. When things begin to seem hopeless, God can make them work.

How does that apply to you and your ministry?
It's applied a lot already! Jesus definitely has the power. Each of us team members had to raise $1,000 each out of donations by sending out letters to friends and family. There was a deadline to when that money was supposed to come in. A week before the deadline I wasn't even halfway there with my money. I will admit, I was beginning to doubt. But I heard the voice of God tell me: "Send out more donation letters." The only other people I could send letters to were distant relatives that I didn't know very well, and at first I thought it was a lost cause. But I sent those letters out and trusted God with the results. The next week I had over $1,100. So, follow God's calling no matter how doubtful you are. He'll produce the results.

What was Peter and Jogn's response to what they saw Jesus do?
They were absolutely astounded! Simon Peter immediately recognized Jesus' holiness and felt ashamed to even be with Him, because Jesus was Lord and Peter was a sinful man.

What is your response to knowing that you serve a powerful God?
I'm the type of person who, if God's done something amazing in my life, I have to tell someone. Knowing God is that powerful is just so assuring that everything will turn out right if He wills it. When I doubt about something really big and think that it could never work out, and God blows me away with a miracle, it actually makes me feel kind of stupid at first for doubting! It's almost like I can hear God laugh and say, "And that's what happens when you trust Me." What's really cool is, usually God doesn't just make it work, He'll do something much bigger. Like, it'd be enough of a miracle if, when I had about $450 of donation money, God totaled me up to about $800 ($350 in one week is a lot). It'd be even more amazing if I just broke $1,000. But it was almostl ike God was saying, "Alright, you trust Me. I'll go ahead and bring in your $1,000 annnd....I'll add $150 just because I'm God."
Our God is an awesome God!!

No comments: