Tuesday, July 1, 2008

On Trip - Day 5 - June 13th, 2007

Read and think about John 9:1-12.
He'd been in darkness since the day he was born. As Jesus and his disciples walked by, one of them asked the question he may have been asking all of his life: what did I do to deserve this? Who is to blame for this suffering!? Jesus' answer blew right out of the water the idea that hard things in our lives indicate God's anger towards us. Sure, sin has its consequences, and God may allow thins to happen to get our lives on track. BUT His love and mercy are great, and He has taken the punishment of our sin on Himself so we could know freedom. So what was the purpose of this man's many years in darkness? That the power of God might be displayed in him. It wasn't this man's physical blindness that caused him to not see God's perfect purposes behind his difficulties, but that blindness common to us all, caused by our limited human perspective of this life. God's got a plan, whether you see it or not.

What feelings have you had this week as you've seen the hard circumstances that people are living in?
It's been so very humbling, seeing so many people living in poverty or suffering from a mental illness. With some of them I can't help feeling joyful because that's what they are, they're happy. They don't focus on the so little things that they have. They're just happy to be alive. But I've also had my heart broken. Earlier today I just broke down in tears when I was at the infirmary that we went to. These people were so old and so sick that they barely looked alive. The flies just kept buzzing around them and they were so wak and so used to it that they didn't even bother wiping them away. We read to them from the Bible and sang a ton of songs for them. They really liked it, and those who were strong enough sang with us. What really got to me was when we sang "Lean On Me" for them. The words just really became real for me, and in the end I did break down in tears. One thing I love about my teammates is that they will comfort you. This is the second time I've broken down on this trip and both times I was very much comforted by my friends.

What does this passage show you about what God's purposes might be in allowing hard things to happen in people's lives?
When we are weak, God's strength can shine through us. I know that very well. This "Headache Trial", which is still going on even now, has definitely showed me that God can use my pain to reach others. The pain is still here so I'm thinking that I'm still being used to reach people in that way.

Ask God to show you how to help people see that He cares for them even when they are suffering.

VBS was so great. It didn't rain today so we got around 45 kids. I did my second and final Bible story. I decided at the very last minute that I didn't want to do it the way I planned. So by the help of God, I totally revamped the story as I was teaching it to the kids. It was awesome.
Ugh, the bug bites itch so bad right now!

TRIP UPDATE
What was the weather like today? VERY hot and VERY humid.
What is the strangest food you've had to eat so far? Either chop sui (not bad) or cornbeef sandwiches (vomit-inducing).
What was the best part about today? All of it.
What was the hardest? Too hot!
Did anyone say anything "quote-worthy"? Our coordinator, Pastor Harold, told us this during group devos: "Tiredness is temporary. The fruits of your work lasts a lifetime."

"LEAN ON ME"
Verse: You just call on your brother when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Chorus: Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need somebody to lean on

No comments: